The Kardashians live a public life of luxury, glamour and extravagance. The wedding of Kim Kardashian (a 33-year-old reality TV star) to Kanye West (a 36-year-old rapper) has been in the tabloids for months and months. There has been speculation about what she will wear, who will attend and where it would be held. And now, the wedding has finally arrived with the couple getting hitched on Saturday 24th May 2014.
The duo have been very tight lipped about what was planned so that they didn’t miss out on their lucrative deals. What we do know is it was held in the Tuscan countryside, Andrea Bocelli was to perform and that Justin Bieber was a guest.
To most of us mortals this scale of wedding is simply out of reach. I personally would not have wanted such an outrageously extravagant affair. Whilst I’m sure they have stunning flowers, table arrangements and food, to me it is not personal, bespoke and would not capture the true meaning of marriage.
That said, there are certainly a few things we can learn for Kimmy and Kanye.
The extravagant wedding could earn the duo up to US$21 million (A$22.72 million) through endorsements, the sale of their photos to magazines and television exclusives.
Chances are your wedding will not be sponsored so you need to get creative with how to negotiate the best deal.
- Homework: find out what is around and look for companies that are competitors
- 3+ quotes: always approach multiple companies for quotes
- Bargain: use your knowledge of what other suppliers are charging to get a price reduction or something for free. Hopefully they will want your business and will be prepared to make it a little more enticing to work with you
- Referral fee: ask your suppliers that if you recommend them to friends who are getting married would they give you a discount if they score the job?
- New brands target market research: the idea here is that you try to get products or services for a discount or at cost price. Why not spend some time searching for new and upcoming brands (think bonbonniere, menus, lolly stands, hire cars, flowers, make-up artists or signage companies)? Contact them to see if you can use their products or services at your wedding as part of their market research campaign. You could pitch that they will gain exposure to hundreds of guests and potential customers. Offer to place their business cards on the tables and/or supply them with professional photos that feature their products/service at your wedding (*check with your photographer of course!). In turn, they can use these images for their website, social media or professional portfolio. This is could prove very useful for new and upcoming brands.
Rumour has it that Kim wore a (US)$2 Million custom-made Givenchy gown with long silk veil designed by the help of Riccardo Tisci. Her daughter North also work a Givenchy gown. Kayne too wore a Givenchy tuxedo. Kim wore Vera Wang at her 2011 wedding to NBA player Kris Humphries, so she chose differently this time around.
Designer gowns for less:
- Borrow: If you can’t afford designer shoes or dress, why not borrow them from a friend who has recently been married?
- Second hand: There are some terrific second hand stores that sell preloved designer wedding dresses, such as Savvy Brides or online at Still White. You could even try ebay, but be very careful with fakes.
- Seconds & Sales: Keep a good look out for designer sales and factory seconds shops. These are a great way to pick up a designer dress for less. Some boutiques have only one or two days of exclusive sales per year, so you must be ready to buy then and there.
Stick to classic black tie for the groomsmen:
- Hire: There are some terrific stores that will hire out tuxedo’s. They fit them to the groomsmen and usually have a large range available. Take a look at Peppers in Sydney’s prestigious Double Bay.
According to E-News, Kayne West gave a 20-Minute Wedding Speech. At first I wasn’t surprised as I knew that the Kardashian’s were using their wedding as a way to promote their brand and get as much endorsement as possible. So why not give a 20 minute speech? After all, you’d probably want to thank all the brands that contributed.
However, most of us don’t have to give an Oscar style speech. Rather it is best to learn from Kayne’s efforts and shorten it considerably. Wedding speeches should really be no longer than 5 minutes each. 10 minutes if you are only doing one or two. Be kind to your guests and don’t make them sit through hours of talking!
Kayne was, however, spot on when he addressed the Kardashian family as the ”the Most Remarkable People of Our Time”. He also said sweet things about his new bride and gushed when he looked forward to “every day of my life with Kim”. Many grooms forget to address the family of the bride and even the bride herself!
The purpose of the grooms toast is to thank his new parents, thank those who have made it to the wedding and address his new wife. The groom can also thank his best man and tell the bridesmaids how wonderful they have been in helping with the wedding preparations. So we can all learn a little for Kayne here!
With 600+ guests at the wedding, Kim and Kayne’s wedding was a star studded affair. Singers Justin Bieber, Lana Del Ray, John Legend and Andrea Bocelli, tennis player Serena Williams, 12 Years A Slave director Steve McQueen, model Chrissy Teigen, rapper Q-Tip, Actor Will Smith’s son Jaden Smith, and reportedly Jay-Z and Beyonce attended.
Most of us will not have a celebrity line up at our wedding. But there is no reason you can’t make your guests feel like they are:
- You can’t go wrong with black tie - your guests will feel like they are attending an extra special event
- Hire a Jazz band or Piano Man on a grand piano to perform Hollywood classics, such as Frank Sinatra, Van Morrison, Elvis Presley and Andrea Bocelli
- Ask your photographers to take lots of photos of the guests as they are entering the room so they feel like they are a celebrity
- Avoid tacky cliches like red carpets and Hollywood oscar signs!
Hats off to them. This menu looks divine and who could do it better than the Italians! A four course meal fit for a king was designed and executed by three-Michelin-star restauranteur Giorgio Pinchiorri. He certainly didn’t disappoint.
Guests were offered 6 options with two desert choices. The food ranged from monkfish fillet in a crust of aromatic herbs on a bed of pureed celeriac, homemade mezzelune pasta stuffed with ricotta cheese thyme and marjoram, and beef fillet with brunello di montalcino sauce. Desert was either wedding cake or homemade strawberry sorbet.
They were smart in that they had a sit down set menu. I’d suggest having 2-3 alternate dishes for the guests rather than a buffet style menu. The choices were suitable for both vegetarians and meat lovers.
They were also very typical Italian and suited the location. It is really important to embrace your local surroundings or theme when selecting the food.
The best part is the desert was light. Guests would not have felt obliged to eat both wedding cake and a heavy desert after eating all the other courses. You want your guests able to get up and dance!!
A 16th-century fortress in Florence played host to the celebrity royalty along with hundreds of guests. The venue was Forte di Belvedere in Florence.
When planning a destination wedding be mindful of the following when picking your place:
- Make sure it is easily accessible (air, car, train)
- Locate appropriate accommodation (enough to house ALL your guests)
- Check that the location is equipped to deal with weddings and has appropriate suppliers available
- If the destination speaks a foreign language, it is advisable to have an appropriate translator
- Check the currency conversions and charges you may get converting
What we’ve also learnt from this wedding is that you must check the laws in the place you plan to get married. In Kim/Kanye’s case, under French law, they were unable to be married unless they resided in the country for 40 days first. Some countries require you to be married legally before you leave your home country. Check this out with the local consulate.
It is also important to learn about the location’s religious customs. Kim and Kanye used traditional vows during their ceremony and had a pastor friend from Miami officiate the union. You too must find out if you can be married in your religion, with your pastor and/or what requirements may be necessary to conduct a religious or non religious ceremony in your chosen destination.
In Florence, marquees, tents and dozens of workmen pulled together the huge venue which is rumoured to have cost $420,000 to hire.
The average wedding can hire a quality marquee for 100 guests for $5k+ depending on the size, fixtures and location.
Kimmy and Kanye arranged for private jets to fly their wedding party and guests around. Whilst you may not have the budget to arrange for all your guests, there are certainly a few cool things you can arrange to have a spectacular arrival for you and your bridal party: Helicopters, Sea Planes, Luxury Wooden Boats, Limos, Horse & Cart, Character Cars or even Bat mobiles!
Kim apparently arranged to have a diamond tan for her wedding. Yes, that is powdered diamonds all over your skin! St Tropez launched the first diamond tan which is not on sale for consumers (because it is so expensive). Kim will have one very expensive glow!
But do not fear, for those who want a lovely glow there are St Tropez options either in the bottle or in spray tans. Or you can check out some personal tanners who have serviced celebs like Lindsay Lohan or Delta Goodrem, such as The Bronzing Boutique.
Funnily enough, we can all learn a thing or two from Kimmy and Kayne. Whilst not everyone has the money to spend of such an extravagant affair, we certainly can try to pull off something equally as spectacular!